Most of the disabled individuals in Nepal are ignored, neglected and forced to live in dark rooms because most of the family members of disabled individuals feel shame at having lost the prestige due to them in the community. As a result, they are dying in the same room or bed where they were born. Some of their families members may also make them beg on the streets. In these ways, the individuals are losing their human rights.
Everest Foudation Nepal offers interested volunteers from all over the world a chance to provide great support to the disabled children in Nepal. EFN has established a daycare facilities in Kathmandu Valley.
Volunteers stay with a local family while spending 6 hours a day at the facility.
As a volunteer, you may:
- typically assist caregivers, and provide more education on care methods where necessary.
- work with the children to provide assistance with therapy, activity preparation, education on basic health and sanitation, academic assistance, and general care.
- provide physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, music therapy services.
- help to plan activities and outings for sightseeing, picnics, cultural sharing, reading stories and promoting a love of reading, conversational English with the children,
- helping the children with their homework assignments etc. depending on the children’s abilities.
- provide vocational Training, income Generating Programme, based on experience and skills volunteers
- Oganize recreational Activities-Audio-Visual aids, play, music and games.