Everest Foundation Nepal offers the opportunity for qualified teachers and education experts to come in Nepal and train the school staff in more advanced methods. This can be done through general teaching skills coaching for all school staff, or if you have subject specific expertise this can also be used more directly within a department.
Teaching methods can be very backwards, often focusing solely on repetition from text books. Nepali teaching is desperately lacking in innovation and the pupils rarely get introduced to concepts like lateral thinking. International and qualified teachers bring a new lease of life to teaching methods and the Nepali teachers, having a huge effect on the overall success of the children. Qualified teachers can also help the school establish frameworks for discipline, reward, communication with parents, management, special needs support and gifted children programs.
What work does a teacher trainer volunteer do?
At the beginning of your stay you will work closely with the Principal or Academic Head of the school to establish where there is most need for teacher training and support. From here you will be expected to use your own initiative to build a framework for providing teacher training and helping the school run more effectively.
As a volunteer teacher Trainer, you may:
- Develop training plans alongside our teachers trainers
- Carry out professional needs assessment of school teachers, directors and supervisors
- Promote active teaching and inclusive education through workshops, demonstration lessons, observations and team teaching
- Demonstrate simple, multi-use, easy-to-use teaching aids to groups of teachers and working with individuals on this
- Motivate teachers to undertake action research, localize the curriculum and produce local teaching materials